THERAPY…the dreaded word in the black community. 2020 was BRUTAL! It really put into perspective that life is fleeting and everything can change in what seems like the blink of an eye. Though 2020 was a trying year, it brought Husbae and I closer. By doing so, it also let us realize what we want to improve in our marriage, to ensure that we are truly giving of our best selves…insert THERAPY. Later on we’ll get into what I personally looked for when hiring a couple’s therapist, but for now, I wanted to share with you 5 tips for finding the right therapist for YOU!
- Do your research. Check to make sure the therapist is specialized in the topics/issues you are looking to explore.
- Look for education and experience. You are about to let this therapist into the most intimate parts of your life. You want to know that they will give you valuable advice, especially since you are paying your hard-earned money. Therapy is not cheap, OKAY!, and oftentimes not covered under insurance.
- See if the therapist you are interested in offers consultations so you can get a feel for the therapist. In therapy, you are building a relationship with your therapist. If the vibes/energy is off and you are not feeling him or her move on.
- Be prepared and have your questions ready prior to the consultation. TherapyforBlackGirls.com offers a great guide for first timers.
- Write down how you felt about the therapist immediately after the consultation. If it’s a couple’s therapist, you and your partner discuss your thoughts together immediately following the consultation. Hubby and I made a pros and cons list.
Do something today that makes your heart smile!
Let’s chat in the comments below! Do you “believe” in therapy? Do you think therapy is still taboo? Do you attend therapy? Let me know!